Zagelmeyer Auto Camp Company
Click Here For All Brochures, Advertisements, And Articles.
Zagelmeyer Auto Camp Company was probably better known for its Kamper Kar, considered one of the best in the 1920's. On October 7, 1922 Frank Zagelmeyer of Bay City, Michigan applied for a patent for his camp trailer. He was granted US Patent 1,650,253 on November 22, 1927. The Zagelmeyer Auto Camp Company was located at 401 South Henry Street in Bay City.
The Zagelmeyer family was well known in the Bay City, Michigan area as they were involved in many other business ventures. Frank Zagelmeyer went on to patent other inventions such as a trailer coupling. In addition to the standard features found on camp trailers of the 1920's the Zagelmeyer Auto Camper claimed to be the lightest one manufactured. One other notible difference was that its canvas was permantly attached, making for a quick setup and tear-down, and its hard-top roof.
Elm Lawn Cemetery records show Frank Zagelmeyer's death on October 14, 1938. His trailer hitch patent was granted to him on August 2, 1938, obviously he stayed very active until the end.
Copyright © 2009 PopupCamperHistory
Website created by Joel Silvey, 2009